Rio de Janeiro, or Rio, for short, is the second largest city in Brazil (the first is São Paulo), and is internationally known for its cultural and landscape icons such as Sugar Loaf (Pão de Açúcar), Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor), a coastline with miles of beaches, including the famous Copacabana and Ipanema, the Maracanã Stadium, the Carioca Carnival, the Bossa Nova and the Samba rhythms. For this reason, and much more, in 2012, part of the city was designated World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO, with the name "Rio de Janeiro: Carioca Landscape between Mountain and Sea".
There is always a 'not to be missed' selection of outdoor programs, walks through cultural centers, unforgettable gastronomic experiences. Discover the architecture, natural beauties and lifestyle of the people of Rio de Janeiro (the cariocas). The joy is contagious, whether walking along the beach, playing volleyball or footvolley on the sands, kitesurfing, hang gliding, or even at a sidewalk table outside a bar. The weather in August is mild, and temperatures pleasant. Rio is the birthplace of samba and bossa nova and today offers a rich blend of rhythms with various influences.
Visit the Oficial Guide of Rio de Janeiro
Where to stay
The city has a track record of political and scientific conventions and major sporting events, including the 2014 FIFA Football World Cup, the 2016 Summer Olympics and the Rock'n Rio 2017. Transportation and lodging around conference venue have received a big boost in order to host these events. There are hotel room options in all price ranges around Botafogo and neighborhoods of the South Area (Zona Sul), where the event will be held. We will soon release a complete list of HDRio2018 partner hotels.
Arena Leme (4 stars)
- Link discount HDRio2018: https://reservations.travelclick.com/98088?groupID=2123965
- Rates per night:
- SUPERIOR SINGLE/DOUBLE (SIDE VIEW) - R$ 230,00 + 15%
- LUXO SINGLE/DOUBLE (SEA FRONT VIEW) - R$ 260,00 + 15%
- Includes breakfast
- Address: Avenida Atlântica, 324, Leme, Rio de Janeiro, 22010-000, Brasil
- Phone: (+55) 21 2244-9200
- Website: http://www.arenalemehotel.com.br/default-pt.html
- Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/frSqtCBZraT2
Arena Copacabana (4 stars)
- Link discount HDRio2018: https://reservations.travelclick.com/98086?groupID=2122268
- Rates per night:
- SUPERIOR SINGLE/DOUBLE (SIDE VIEW) - R$ 245,00 + 15%
- LUXO SINGLE/DOUBLE (SEA FRONT VIEW) - R$ 280,00 + 15%
- Includes breakfast
- Address: Av. Atlântica n° 2064, Rio de Janeiro 22040-001, Brasil
- Phone: (+55) 21 3034-1500
- Website: http://www.arenacopacabanahotel.com.br/default-pt.html
- Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/m6WWfipqCvN2
The main forms of public transportation in Rio are metro underground trains, buses, the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) and VLT (Light Rail Vehicle) system. There are bus stop and metro station close to HDRio2018's locals. Yellow cabs are a cost effective transportation option for groups of people. Rio also has a bike sharing system.
In Rio de Janeiro, Brazilian cuisine is well represented with several regional specialty restaurants. There is a wide selection of restaurants offering the best of local and international cuisine. Take a look at http://visit.rio/: truly mouth-watering!
Places to visit
Make your itinerary through some of the city's must-see places. All of them are close or very easy to reach from the South Zone of the city, where HDRio2018 will be held.
Beyond the city
The Marvelous City is a captivating place with many attractions to explore. However, if you have interest we recommend including time in your itinerary to get out of the city for a day trip to experience the incredible beauty of Rio de Janeiro’s surrounding areas. It is worth mentioning: Petrópolis, Teresópolis and Itaipava, which are cities of the montain region, and also Búzios, Ilha Grande and Paraty with paradisiacal beaches and very pleasant walks.